What is the american heart association diet?
When you are talking about cardiovascular diseases, following the right type of eating habits is a must. When you eat right, you are holding the right weapon to fight off anything. The American heart association developed a system that will not only benefit your present; but, will also cause long term health benefits. This is nothing like the low carb high fat diet side effects or the HMR diet shakes, it is an eating pattern that is well balanced. The diet is simple but you will have to follow its guidelines to get the best results and benefit from is protective benefits.
Three days in the American Heart Association diet
This is a diet that goes over a period of three days which aims at helping lose a lot of weight. As a matter of fact, you are promised to lose up to ten pounds in as little as three days. All you need to do is to follow this strict diet by the letter. You will need to drink water, diet sodas and unsweetened tea as well as black coffee. As for additions to the food, you are only allowed to have salt, pepper, lemon juice and mustard. Also, you are not allowed to have any snack between meals. The way this system works is by making your body burning a lot of calories by increasing its metabolic rate. The system is not the indian diet for weight loss in 7 days.
When you want to lose a lot of weight, you are expected to follow the three days of strict diet; then have an easy four days; then, follow the three days once again. You are not encouraged to follow the system for many days back to back. When you are on the three days, you should expect to intake about 600 to 1000 calories per day. This could push your body to undergo starvation mode. So, you might be affecting your muscle mass and could end up having deficiencies. You might even develop anemia. Some people deciding to follow these three strict days over more prolonged days have mentioned having brittle nails and hair, depression and becoming irritable. Also, when you eat a restricted amount of calories, you will not have enough glucose that will supply your body: brain and nervous system. As a result, you will end up yo-yoing in your weight and face the risk of developing gallstones.
Despite the name of the diet, the American heart association explains that this system is not originating from their organization. Actually, they do not want people to follow fad diets, like the Beyonce lemonade diet, that could negatively affect their health. They encourage people to eat lean meats, whole grains and good sources of fat. They also want you to eat the right amount of calories for your body and couple your food intake by a proper healthy workout regimen.
The diet plan of the American heart association
The American Heart Association diet plan is based on a set of rules that should be followed. Unlike the seventh day adventist diet plan, the heart healthy diet system is flexible. As long as you abide by them, you will be on the right path. Here is what you need to know:
- You have to know what the right amount of calories is, that your system needs. Make sure you count both your food and your drinks as part of your caloric intake. Your calories depend on how old you are, on your gender and how active you are. People who have a sedentary lifestyle need fewer calories than people who are active and work out throughout the days and weeks.
- To maintain the right weight, make sure that you do not exceed the amount of calories that your body burns. This is a daily matter.
- You may want to start thinking about shifting from a sedentary lifestyle to a more active one. If you want to eat more; then, you need to start thinking about working out more. Try to work out for a period of two to three hours of exercising every week. When you work out, you will not only have the proper weight; but, also, you will be able to achieve the right cardiovascular health.
- If you need to manage your blood pressure and cholesterol levels, then you need to add aerobic workout in your routine. You can also check the best diet for high blood pressure.
- You need to eat a well-balanced diet that is rich in fruits and veggies, whole grains, dairy food that are low to non-fat, chicken and fish, nuts and legumes, as well a vegetable oils.
- Think about tuning down your intake in sweets and bad fats like Trans fats, saturated fats, salt, and red meat. If you like to eat red meat, you have to look for lean cuts.
- Try to eat more food choices that are rich in nutrients and stay away from food that are poor in essential nutrients. This is exactly what the Kate Middleton weight loss diet was all about.
- Eat a lot of frozen and fresh as well as canned fruits and veggies. Try to stay away from anything that is soaked in salt, sugar and high calorie sauces. For canned veggies, make sure the cans are low salt.
- Always go for food that is rich in fibers. If you want to eat grains, go for the whole grains version.
- When you eat your chicken and fish, eat them without their skin and cook them in a healthy way. Picking to fry your fish will not keep it as a healthy food choice.
- You have to stay away from hydrogenated oils. As long as you follow all the needed recommendations, you will be on the right tract.
The American heart association diet menu
Now that you want to follow the American heart association diet, here is a sample menu plan for you.
Breakfast: this consists of an egg toast made of whole wheat bread with one egg and two big spoons of salsa. You can have a banana with your breakfast.
Morning snack: you can have some blueberries.
Lunch: your lunch can be the chickpeas and veggie salad that you can prepare by mixing greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, as well as chickpeas and almonds.
Afternoon snack: you can have an orange or a cup of berries. This is perfect for a low-cholesterol diet.
Dinner: you can have a grilled salmon with some peppercorn sauce. You can have your fish with steamed green beans and baked potatoes. You can add some olive oil, salt and pepper.
Breakfast: a cup of bran cereals with a cup of skimmed milk and half a cup of berries.
Snack: one apple or orange
Lunch: a hummus sandwich made of whole grains bread, hummus, avocado, cucumbers, red pepper, carrots and greens.
Snack: you can have some red peppers that you can dip with hummus.
Dinner: you can pick the roasted tofu and peanut noodle salad
Breakfast: you can have non-fat yogurt with blueberries and almonds and honey.
Snack: you can have some carrots that you can dip in hummus.
Lunch: you can have the green salad with grilled chicken that is made of three cups of Verde leaves, three ounces of grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots and olive oil and vinegar dressing.
Snack: you can have an orange
Dinner: you can have a grilled cod with some tomato sauce along with some brown rice and a side of green salad.
Some recipes of the American heart association diet
Now that you have understood the basics of the American heart diet, here are a few recipes that you can try which are tasty and highly nutritious.
- Tofu and peanut noodles salad: this is a great recipe that is made of lime juice, a quarter a cup of soy sauce that is low in sodium, one big spoon of canola oil, a pack of tofu that is firm, six ounces of pasta, half a cup of peanut butter that is made smooth by mixing it with water, garlic, fresh ginger, cabbage that is sliced, and bell pepper. You can also add a cup of snow peas.
- Salmon with pepper: this recipe is made of salmon that is trimmed and grilled, some salt, some lemon juice, unsalted butter, and peppercorn vinegar and canola oil.
- Lime and avocado dressing: this is a great recipe that will not take more than 15 minutes to get it ready. All you need is some ripe avocado, buttermilk, lime juice, olive oil, ground cumin, salt, romaine lettuce hearts, cherry tomatoes and ground pepper. Such a recipe will provide you with about 70 calories for every serving. As far exchanges, you will get half an exchange of veggies and one of fat.