While dieting has been overrated, people still look for numerous ways to lose weight. Let us take, for example, the Safflower oil diet. This is a very simplistic diet that does not ask you to pay large amounts of money. It might not give you the same results as the special K diet results that claims to help you lose sizes in as little as two weeks.
Many are asking what is the Gaps diet. According to many reviews, this system can be more effective than the lemonade diet reviews. The truth is anybody can lose weight when picking one of the diets found over the internet. The problem is how easy would it be for you to gain back the lost pounds and how healthy will it be for your body. Let us take, for example, the Khloe Kardashian weight loss diet. This woman is a famous woman who believes in the power of healthy living. Despite her vast fortune, she decided to go simple and realistic in her weight loss game. Many claim that her plan added features of the Garcinia Cambogia diet. But nobody will ever know for sure. These pills come from a natural source that is a fruit native to Indonesia and that looks like a small yellowish pumpkin. So, as you can notice, dieting techniques can be very wide and completely different from each other. You can get amazing results whether you are dieting, undergoing surgeries or using healthy pills. You can also take a look at the Scarsdale diet reviews.
What is a low potassium diet?
Many people face certain health conditions throughout their lives that might require them to go low on certain kinds of food or nutrients. A low potassium diet is a menu that has fewer amounts of a mineral called potassium. Many medicines might also cause a spike in your potassium levels; as a result, you will be obliged to follow the low potassium lifestyle. Whether it will be a temporary phase or you will need to adjust your entire lifestyle is entirely up to what condition you might have and how high your health risks are.
Low potassium diet menu
Unlike the lemonade diet reviews and menu, the low potassium diet can be a little tricky and demanding. But, once you are used to the system, you will be more comfortable following it. After all, if your health requires you to go low on potassium, you need to make the necessary changes.
When you embrace this lifestyle, you will need to start cooking at home with fresh and whole foods options. This will be your best first step into your new dietary ways. What you will need to start doing is reading the labels. Everything you need to know about a certain food is right there for you. Make sure you decipher the label and ingredients and understand the servings system.
Also, you are advised to drain any can you might eat and use watch the potassium content of your seasonings. It is true that you can control your food choices according to their natural potassium content, but you also need to watch your sauces and other ingredients you use with them to make them a tasty meal.
When you want to go wild with your dishes, you are recommended to use fresh herbs instead of dried and packaged ones that could contain all kinds of additives and extra elements.
So, here is what a low potassium meal can look like. You need to match an option for the low potassium proteins to one with low potassium veggies.
Low potassium meats and their portions are:
- Quarter a cup of lentils
- Half a cup of milk: you can pick between cow’s milk or soy milk
- One egg: you might be allowed to go for two eggs, but not always
- Roast turkey: about two ounces
- Half a cup of cheese like ricotta and cottage
- One ounce of other kinds of cheeses
- One ounce of nuts like peanuts and almonds
Low potassium veggies include half a cup of any of the following:
- Green beans
You can cook your veggies with a little bit of olive oil and a pinch of salt. You will need to watch out for veggies that are very high in potassium such as tomatoes, sweet potatoes and dark leaves.
As far low potassium fruits, you can have any of the following:
- Apples, pears.
- All kind of berries: raspberries, blueberries and cranberries.
- Grapes and grapefruits.
- Peaches and plums
You can pick any of the following fruits and be creative with them. You can freeze them as smoothies or popsicles. You need to watch out for some high potassium fruits like dried fruits, bananas, papaya, kiwi, melons, and oranges. One rule to keep in mind is that exotic fruits are normally high in potassium.
Grains that are low in potassium include:
- Rice, but do not exceed more than one third of a cup.
- Half a cup of pasta
- A slice of white bread.
You can add some herbs and olive oil for your grains. Always try to be creative with your herbs.
low potassium diet foods
What will surprise you is that most food contains potassium. This mineral is essential for a healthy body. But, when you need to control it, this means that you have to keep it moderated and not eradicated. Low potassium diets are normally advised to people who might be facing some kidney issues. For other condition-based diets, you can take a look at the Gout diet menu.
So, to end up with a diet low in potassium, you will have to eat abundantly from the food options that are naturally low in this mineral and watch your ingredients and food portions. You have to focus, as a starter, on food that could have less than 200mg of potassium per serving. So, here are your guidelines:
- Proteins that originate from animal sources are normally high in potassium. This means beef, fish, and poultry. For example, if you compare one ounce of salmon to one ounce of lean beef, you will notice the difference in this one simple ingredient. The fish portion contains about 106 mg of potassium while the beef has 150mg.
- Legumes are also high in potassium. These are very healthy food choices; but they need to be taken in moderation to avoid any surplus of the mineral.
- You need to opt for legumes and protein sources that are low on potassium and watch out for the portions.
- You may need to resort to a diet sheet.
low potassium diet recipes
Here we embark, once again, on a new food adventure where you will need to watch out for your food options, portions and mixes. To help you put everything together, here are a few recipes that are low in potassium.
- Blueberry muffins: this is an amazing recipe that needs one quarter a cup of all-purpose flour, one quarter a cup of sugar, one big spoon of cinnamon, three big spoons of butter, one cup of sugar, one third a cup of butter, two eggs, two and a half cups of flour, five small spoons of baking powder, some salt, one cup of milk, and some berries. You can also use cooking spray.
- Coconut cake: This is a great recipe that contains three cups of flour, two cups of sugar, one big spoon of baking soda, one cup of milk, one cup of butter, two big spoons of coconut flakes, five egg whites, and some coconut flakes to decorate the cake. As for the frosting, you will need two big spoons of flour, half a cup of milk, and quarter a cup of butter, half a cup of sugar and one small spoon of coconut extract. You are advised to substitute the milk with rice milk.
- Potatoes: This is a very tasty recipe that prepares potatoes in a very flavorful way. You will need two potatoes, some canola oil, ground cumin, and paprika, white pepper, ketchup and some onions.
- Chicken Piccata: while this recipe is a great option for a low potassium meal, one needs to make sure they is getting the right quantity. To prepare this meal, you will need some angel hair pasta, whole-wheat spaghetti, whole wheat flour, black pepper, chicken breast, some mushrooms, garlic, lemon juice, chicken stock, and zucchini.
A low potassium diet is not as tough as one might imagine. You just need to identify the types of food that are low in this mineral and match it up together, the right way, to obtain a full day’s menu. The key is in the quantities. After all, when you follow a special diet for your health, you are not faced with many options. It is not the same as following a weight loss diet that could be very flexible as long as you are losing weight. When you just need to lose weight, you can have diets that are very low in calories or well-balanced systems. When you are restricted in a certain nutrient for the sake of your health and wellness, you cannot be flexible about it. So, make sure you know your food list chart, the potassium content ranking and the quantities you are recommended to have to stay healthy and safe.