What is the flexitarian diet?
The flexitarian diet is a system that encourages people to stop eating meat for the purpose of weight loss. The diet relies on eating plant-based food, which will drastically lower your caloric intake and help you shake off the extra pounds. The meal plan is somehow similar to that of the vegetarian diet; however, the developer of the flexitarian diet believes that not everyone wants to go live in veggies and fruits as well as grains. So, as a difference to the pure vegetarian diet, the flexitarian is flexible and does allow meal. However, you will have to eat way less meat than you used to. Results are very positive and encourage people to follow this system. Forget about the keto diet plan vegetarian, this system can be easily accommodated and embraced by those who have some kind of weakness to meat. If you are following the detox smoothie diet, you can still be a flexitarian. This system is really flexible!
The flexitarian diet book
This diet is developed into a book that explains to you about how to follow the system and shift your eating habits from a life where you used to eat meat whenever you wish, to one that has a minimal intake. The writer believes that anyone who is about to follow the diet is a meat eater. So, he expects you to start from zero with the system. As a result, you are a beginner and are allowed to have two days per week where you do not eat any meat. You are also allowed to have about 26 ounces of meat. Following this stage, and after getting used to the system, you start lowering your meat intake into 18 ounces per week. So, you will skip your meat three to four days a week. Finally, when you are a master of meat skipping, you are becoming a flexitarian expert. That is when you start having five days per week away from meat products. It could be more than five days, also. So, you will end up eating about nine pounds of meat or meat products per week. This seems to be a fair way to reduce the amount of meat gradually. This is not a detox diet and hence, you are not to cleanse your body with juices and drinks.
The many reviews about this diet system are numerous. They all explain how their health and lifestyle changed as a result of eating this way: plant-based way. The diet is not tough to follow and requires a moderate level of engagement. Even if you are sipping the meat, you are still allowed to eat some and you still have a large variety of food and recipes. Success stories do encourage people to follow this weight loss system. When following the flexitarian diet, you can still use ideas from the Macro diet recipes.
The flexitarian diet plan: Allowed food!
This diet has one simple definition: nothing is banned completely! You are expected to eat a lot of plant-based food choices and lower your intake in meat. This diet is surely not the right plan for those who do not like to eat plant-based food or who hate legumes and grains. This is not a juice detox plan; but, a well-balanced diet that is low in meat.
When you are on the flexitarian diet, you do not need any one-on-one consulting. You will also not need to buy any prepackaged food by the developer of the diet. Finally, pills are not a part of this system. So, the only costs you will face are the cost of the book and the regular cost of your food: your groceries shopping costs.
You do need to cook your food; but, you still can eat out as there are numerous restaurants that are plant-based and you still can eat meat. The reason why it is called flexitarian is because it is flexible. You do have a lot of options when on this dietary system and you will feel at ease. Whether you are a vegan, vegetarian or none of these two, this diet would still work for you.
There are actually several benefits to following this diet such as lowering your cholesterol levels, stabilizing your triglycerides levels, maintain a good blood pressure, maintaining good glucose levels, protecting your from heart issues, and helping you lose weight. The diet by itself is a very effective diet and promotes healthy living. What could be problematic is that it does not have any kind of a structure. So, if you are looking to lose weight very quickly. You may find it hard to accommodate your meals and understand how much to eat and what to eat in order to accomplish your goals. Some people might take a look at the wheat belly diet reviews; but, they will still feel more at ease with the flexitarian system.
For those of you who are following a clean eating diet plan, you would still be able to follow the flexible weight loss system. As long as you ring together the guidelines, you will be in good shape!
Some flexitarian diet recipes
There are numerous diet recipes that one can take a look at. For example, you could follow some meals like the Daniel diet recipes. Or, you could go more specific and look up for meals that are developed for vegetarian or plant-based eaters.
- Peanut stir fry: you will need half a cup of tofu, two small spoons of peanut oil, two cups of veggies, some grated ginger, two cloves of garlic, a quarter of a cup of pineapple juice, one cup of brown rice and some chopped cilantro.
- Hot chocolate: this is a great drink that is made of one cup of soja milk, one big spoon of cocoa powder (but you have to pick the unsweetened one), one big spoon of honey and some cinnamon to sprinkle on top of the drink.
- Baja burger: this is a very tasty meal that you prepare with one veggie burger, a whole grain burger bun, some avocados, a quarter of a cup of broccoli and two big spoons of barbecue.
- Tasty pineapple and ginger: this is a great snack and you only need three ingredients to prepare it. You will need three pineapple slices, two small spoons of ginger that is candied, and two small spoons of pecans. Make sure that you do not pick the pineapple that is canned in syrup.
- Butter toast with apples: this is a great breakfast that you prepare with a whole wheat bread slices, some almond butter and sliced apples.
- Spinach Dahl: this is a great stew that is pure vegan. It will need about an hour to be ready and is easy to prepare. You will need the following ingredients to prepare it: about a cup of split peas, one onion, three pieces of garlic, a small spoon of cumin seeds, one small spoon of turmeric, one small spoon of mustard seeds, one big spoon of ginger, a quarter of a small spoon of pepper, about 14 ounces of tomatoes, about two cups of vegetables stock, some water, vegetable oil, spinach chopped, and salt. Such a recipe does make four servings.
What is the flexitarian diet food list?
When you decide on following the flexitarian diet, you will have a large variety of food to choose from. For example, for breakfast, you may find the following interesting:
- Oatmeal with figs and flax
- Muesli with apples
- Banana Pecan waffles
- Granola Berry Parfait
- Fruit and Nut polenta
- Banana Smoothie with peanut butter
- A butter toast with apples and almonds
- A quiche with cheese and spinach
- Muesli with pears, honey and almonds
For Lunch, you can pick one of the following:
- Wraps with beans and avocados
- A salad with asparagus and artichoke
- Baja Burger
- Fennel salad with pistachios
- Pita salad with some Greek cheese chopped
- Goat cheese salad with beets and arugula
- Pinto Beans tacos
For dinner, you can pick any of the following:
- Veggie Pizza
- Cauliflower cooked with curry and cashews
- Taco salad with black beans
- Bean soup or lentil soup
- Rice Pilaf with Butternut Squash and Sage
There are several options that will let you enjoy this weight loss journey.