Home Diet The Daniel Diet: Plan, Menu, Food List and Recipes

The Daniel Diet: Plan, Menu, Food List and Recipes

what is the Daniel diet?

The latest trend diet in the United States is the diet of God, also known as Daniel’s fast. The Biblical diet advises the abolition of every form of processed food: in that list, there are alcohol and sugar but also meat and dairy products. Go ahead for fruit, vegetables, and legumes.

The idea that underlies the diet of God is much followed by members of the American evangelical and Presbyterian communities and many people who simply want to follow a detox diet. This diet relies on the idea of having to purify the body and spirit while respecting the precepts of the sacred texts. The inspiration derives from the Old Testament, and in particular from the episode of the prophet Daniel, who refused the wine and food offered by the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar because they were impure foods for the Jewish religion. The same Daniel diet recites the Biblical passage (Daniel 1: 8), in which he instead asked only vegetables and water for himself and his friends and after ten days their appearance looked more beautiful and had a better complexion of all the young people who had eaten the king’s exquisite food. This is why you have to do not adopt the diet forever, but only for a variable period of time, like a 10 days diet. The results are expected to be great and you are not to take any helpers like the Phentermine diet pills.

The Guidelines of the daniel diet plan

The Biblical diet involves eating fruits, and vegetables and drinking only water for a 21-days diet (not ten days like Daniel), but since the diet of God has become fashionable, there is also a less rigid version developed by the Californian preacher Rick Warren, author of the diet book Purpose-Driven Life, which in the United States has sold 30 million copies. This version of the diet of God lasts 40 days (the duration of the global flood, to remain on the Biblical theme) but it is less rigorous: 70 percent of the food consumed in this period will have to be fruit and vegetables, but the remaining 30 percent instead it must be made of lean proteins and whole grains. Industrial foods, sugars, caffeine, and alcohol are however abolished.

Unlike the type 2 diabetes diet, this system is made up of 70% fruits and vegetables and the remaining 30% of lean protein and whole grains. Let’s say it’s less rigorous than most of Daniel’s fasts but more virtuous than the typical American diet. You may also take a look at the Dash diet menu.

Pay attention, however: this is not a diet that has medical or scientific feedback and may have contraindications. You may also analyze another similar diet such as the Pescetarian diet pros and cons.

A sample menu of the daniel diet

This is a particular detox diet used to purify your body from toxins and start a better lifestyle is a simple model of 50/25/25, really good to stimulate the Daniel diet. There is also another type of cleasing system called the sugar detox diet.

Breakfast: A cup of low-fat milk (avoid the whole, you could not digest it very well) with 4-5 wholemeal rusks with jam.

Snack: A banana, an apple, and some nuts.

Lunch: 150gr of rice or 100gr of wholemeal pasta with tomato sauce, better if you make it with some vegetables, some lettuce and a fruit. Beans and some lentils as source of protein.

Snack: Some almonds with an herbal tea.

Dinner: You can have some grilled salmon with a side of salad made of tomatoes, and arugula. Feel free to add a side dish composed of carbohydrates such as the basmati rice which has low-glycemic index.

There are also other restricted menus where you have to choose only vegetables source but this one is the best to start the Daniel diet. Then you can try with a pescetarian diet style and then make another period of full restriction Biblical diet.

The food list of the daniel diet

The food list is composed of 50% of non-starchy vegetables:

50 Percent Non-Starchy Vegetables

  • Artichokes, Arugula, Asparagus, Bell peppers (yellow, green, red, orange), Bok choy, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Collard greens, Cucumbers, Dandelion Green

25% of lean protein or vegetarian protein, also seafood is an option:

  • Cheese, specifically hard cheese such as parmesan or the extra-sharp ones. You can have these in 1-2 tablespoons.
  • Kale, Veal, Mushrooms, Nut butter, Quinoa, Chicken breast, Spinach, Tofu (organic),
  • Whole Eggs, preferably omega-3,
  • Beef, salmon, and cod. These might not be a good choice for the Renal diet foods.

And the last 25% is composed of whole grains or starchy vegetables, you have to eat in moderation because there is a reduction in carbohydrates, so choose the best starchy vegetables sources. If possible legumes and whole grains, that’s to improve the digestion and absorption overnight.

  • Whole grain and pasta: Brown rice, Quinoa, Polenta, Whole pasta, Organic cornmeal, Oats.
  • Starchy vegetables: Beets, carrots, corn, pumpkin, potatoes and sweet potatoes;
  • Beans: you can eat every variety of beans, peas, and lentils;
  • Also low glycemic fruit like Kiwi ( rich in vitamin C), Avocado (as a source of good fats), berries, cherries, coconut, watermelon, grapefruit.
  • Beverages and drink, to be avoided sweetener and flavorings, also drinks with added sugars: Almond milk, Coconut milk, tea ( green, black or herbal), a lot of water, coffee and others vegetable sources milk.
  • Healthy oils: avocado oil, coconut oil but raw and unrefined, coconut butter, flaxseed oil, walnut oil, extra virgin olive oil;
  • Healthy Snacks: Applesauce, unsweetened (1/2 cup), Dark chocolate (70% cacao) (10 – 20 grams, equivalent to 1 -2 squares), Dried Fruits: currants, dates, figs, prunes, raisins (sulfite-free, 1 – 2 small pieces), Greek yogurt (unsweetened) (8 ounces)

Also, according to Dr. Gundry, a famous researcher, you should not just use gluten-free products, because these products contain more saturated fats and less protein than the foods that normally contain gluten.

Daniel diet recipes

Here it is, a delicious recipe for the biblical diet. This warm lentil salad can be an amazing meal for the entire family. It is easy to prepare and has a lot of mixed flavors.

INGREDIENTS

  • 150 g dried lentils
  • Four cups vegetable broth
  • 150 g champignon mushrooms
  • 8 cherry tomatoes
  • Two onions
  • Two tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
  • QB thyme
  • to taste chives
  • basil QB
  • Two teaspoons of lemon juice
  • to taste: add some integral sea salt
  • to taste: add some ground pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Leave the lentils to soak in cool water for a few minutes (not overnight). Throw away the water and rinse the lentils under running water.
  • Put the lentils to cook in the vegetable stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Then pour.
  • Clean and slice the mushrooms. Cut the tomatoes into four pieces.
  • Cut the onions into rings. Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the mushrooms and brown them a little. Then add the onions, tomatoes, and thyme.
  • Let go for a few minutes on low heat. Add the lentils, chives and chopped basil and mix everything carefully.
  • Season with lemon juice, a little bit of salt and pepper. You will need to serve it hot.

The Daniel Diet Reviews

In general, a period during which we avoid potentially toxic products (like industrial food) does not hurt. In all religions, there is a period of purification from food. It is essential, however, to do it only for a limited time because, otherwise, it could provoke a lack of nutrients.

Also, the reviews show the positive aspect is that even if, it is a diet in part unbalanced, for a limited period it would not bring severe deficiencies or damage to the organism. It is not similar to the HCG diet systems. Especially in the Warren version with cereals, it is a healthy, almost Mediterranean diet, apart from the absence of white meat and fish. The cereals and legumes together ensure the combination of essential amino acids, fundamental for example for the growth of children, but also necessary for adults.

The two main limitations are linked to the absence of iron and calcium; it is true that legumes contain a lot of iron, but often it is not absorbed because it is not common to combine them with food that contains the vitamin C necessary to absorb the mineral in the body. Calcium is also present in both legumes and cereals, but phytic acid and calcium oxalate reduce its absorption.

Precisely because of the lack of contribution of these fundamental nutrients, also of exercise, even if it is limited in time, some people should avoid the diet of God. A regimen of this type can only be followed by a healthy adult who has a good absorption capacity of nutrients. It can be very dangerous and should, therefore, be avoided by children, elderly, and pregnant or nursing women.