Why we need to lose weight?
Despite the fact that losing weight is a trend of beauty, more than 50% of people want to lose weight to improve their quality of life and health status. To know if you need to lose weight, you can do the equation of your height and weight, and obtain your BMI. This number will explain to you whether you are underweight, have the right weight, overweight or even obese. If you are among the last two categories then you’d better try looking for the proper diet for you.
Obesity is an unhealthy condition that could put the individual at higher risks of many illnesses and diseases including:
- High blood pressure,
- High cholesterol levels,
- High triglycerides levels,
- Gallstones, as well as many advanced stages of chronic diseases.
When you are shopping for the right diet, you need to know how well the system will work for your body, your beliefs and finally, your lifestyle. The most important factor is to keep going with the diet until you are done and ready to start maintaining what you have lost. If you lose your extra weight and maintain it afterward, then you have succeeded! When you succeed, it means that you are healthy. And when you are healthy, the whole world will change for you. You can invest in a good cookbook or even a diet book. You can also follow a food chart and plan your shopping list accordingly. Whether you are following a raw food diet, or a vegan diet weight loss, get more ideas about the before and after results.
What is the Alkaline Diet Plan?
Alkalinity refers to the body pH levels. This level is very important to our body and health. When your body conditions are either overly acidic or overly alkaline, your organs are not functioning the proper way. As a result, your enzymes and cellular functions will refrain from their standard roles. So the idea is simple. You need to eat food that can promote an alkaline state in your body. These foods need to account for 70% of your daily intake. The benefits of such a diet are that it seems to be a cleanse diet and a protective one as well. An alkaline diet can be a little tricky to follow as you might be used to having some acidic fruits. These can be very healthy, and by eradicating them from your system, you could fall behind on these vitamins and minerals. You need to understand how to balance your alkaline diet.
The alkaline diet can balance the ratio of sodium and potassium in your body. This balance will help:
- Promote bone health
- Promote muscle health
- Lower the risk of heart diseases
- Provide the body with enough Magnesium that is essential for proper functioning of the cells.
- Your body will use up Vitamin D in a better way.
- Increase the levels of growth hormones
How does it work?
The Alkaline diet works if more than 70% of your daily intake are food options that promote an alkaline state for your body. Such foods include:
- All vegetables, except for the pickled ones.
- Leafy vegetables like wheat grass, sprouts, dandelion, barley grass.
- Root vegetables like beets, radishes and kohlrabi.
- Alkaline fruits like lime, lemon, avocado, cherries and watermelon.
- Good fat like coconut, flaxseeds, olive oil, and sesame oil. These are super food for our body for what it provides from antioxidants. Flaxseeds are also rich in Omega-3.
- Alkaline nuts like almonds and pine nuts.
- Go for whole grains like kamut, buckwheat and millet.
- Beans like lima beans, soy beans, white beans, lentils, and tofu.
- Tea and herbal teas.
- Stevia as a sweetener.
- Sesame seeds, cumin, caraway, and fennel seeds.
Now that you know what food to eat, you will also need to understand which food you need to avoid. Since 70% of your food has to be alkaline-promoting ones, the remaining 30% have to be monitored. Here are some tips:
- When you want to eat proteins (not from legume sources), you normally think of beef, sardines, pork, tuna or veal. These are highly acidic options. Chicken, salmon and freshwater fish are still acidic, but to a much lower extent.
- Dairy products are mostly acidic. Buttermilk is the only alkaline option.
- Do not cook your food with butter, margarine, corn oil or sunflower oil. These are acidic options.
- Stay away from acidic nuts like peanuts and pistachios.
- Keep your diet free of ketchup, mustard, mayo and soy sauce.
- Processed, microwavable and canned food should be forgotten.
- Stay away from wine, beer and liquors.
- Sweetened juices are to be limited.
- If you like coffee, now is the excellent time to stop it.
Alkaline Diet Menu and Recipes
If you want to follow an alkaline-promoting diet, then you’d better start learning the different options you have and understand how you can put them together to keep your meals alkaline.
For breakfast ideas, you can think of the following:
- Scrambled tofu with some sides of steamed kale, mushrooms and a hint of cayenne pepper.
- Scrambled tofu with some sides of bok choy, mustard greens and ginger.
- Millet cooked with almond milk (unsweetened); then, add some almonds, figs, and banana. You can sprinkle cinnamon on top.
Lunches and Dinners
For lunch or dinner, you can try the following options:
- Green salad with lentils and grilled chicken with a buttermilk dressing mixed with oregano, olive oil, and cayenne pepper.
- Green salad with edamame, carrots and baked tofu. Add a dressing made of sesame oil and grated ginger.
- Cook vegetables as a soup in a veggie broth; then add some edamame and tempeh. You have the option to add some spelt pasta to your soup to make it more consistent.
- Alkaline pasta dinner made of kamut; add to it some tomatoes, fresh garlic and olive oil. You can have it with some grilled butternut squash cooked in buttermilk, and sage.
- Chili bowl made of lentils, kidney beans, and vegetables. Add to it a side of grilled chicken.
These include many options including:
- Watermelon slices
- Raw almonds
- A banana with some almond butter
- An avocado with sunflower seeds and some honey.
- Alkaline smoothies made of almond milk, kale and a frozen banana
Some Other Ways to Lose Weight
While the alkaline diet can be a very healthy option, some individuals might not feel too comfortable adapting to it. So, they might go for other kinds of weight loss regimens.
The Liver detox diet, for example, can lead to weight loss; but, foremost, it will help you cleanse your liver. This system will remove the toxic food from your daily meals, let you take in juices made of raw veggies, encourage you to have a lot of food rich in potassium, and undergo an enema from coffee. From another angle, you will be asked to eat some cooked liver and take supplements like dandelion or turmeric pills.
The Mediterranean diet is a fantastic system that has been linked to a great healthy, especially for your heart, as well as an excellent way to lose your extra weight. This system relies on a well-balanced, healthy diet with the addition of olive oil and red wine. Such a diet is known to lower your cholesterol levels and regulate any issue you might be having in your heart. It is simple, as you just have to put together the meals as they are prepared originally in countries along the Mediterranean Sea.
Finally, if you are a man who wants to keep your muscle mass at its best, then you might want to try the bodybuilding diet plan for men. Such a regimen will keep increasing your muscles and keep you lean. This kind of diets normally comprises carbohydrates, proteins, fruits, and veggies as well as small amounts of good fat.
Some might even prefer to take some weight-loss pills like the Adipex diet pills or the ephedrine diet pills. In the end, whatever you decide to pick, you have to understand that continuity and perseverance are a must for the success of any weight-loss story. Also, you need to have a strong will that can prevent you from cheating.