What is the 8-hour diet?
It does not matter what one eats, but it is more when one eats. When you hear that sentence; you most certainly remember the famous American writer David Zinczenko: the writer of the well-known book “eat this and not that.”
Well, the 8-hour diet’s definition stands for a plan that helps a dieter in his mission to weight loss by creating a window of time when one can eat. For example, from 9 a.m to 5 p.m, during that period the body consumes the eaten calories. But, the following 16 hours will be a fasting period for the dieter. This 16-hour window may differ from a person to another, but the author of the plan recommends that, at the beginning of the plan, the dieter should apply that plan at least for three days per week. Then, there must be a gradual increase until you get to reach seven days per week. The dieter must keep in that method of eating until losing the desired pounds. Well, does it work?
How the 8- hour diet plan works?
Firstly, it depends upon a physiological human body mechanism which is responsible for both weight gain and weight loss. This is during the 8- hour calorie window where the calories, obtained from the carbohydrate intake, are stored in the liver as a complex carbohydrate called glycogen. Remember, this is nothing like the apple cider vinegar detox diet.
The hepatocytes (the cell of the liver is called hepatocyte) have a maximum glycogen storage capacity after which, it can no longer store more glycogen. As a result, the rest of the glycogen gets converted into fat, which is stored in the fat stores of the body especially the belly. This is what makes the person gain weight.
But, avoiding the foods which predispose to fat formation, is a must during the 8-hour diet to evade forming too much fat.
During the 16 fasting hours (the rest of the day ), the body begins to utilize the stored liver glycogen (glycogen catabolism or glycogenolysis) and then the stored fat in a biochemical process called lipolysis.
And that eventually, serves all the body functions. So, the fat which made you have that bulging belly would be lost. You can try it for a couple of days and follow up the 3 day diet results.
Secondly, the 8-hour diet works on the mitochondrial energy production by activating its mitochondrial enzymes which are responsible for energy production. This reduces the intracellular damages; so, it will help also cure several diseases.
Note that, many people eat just whenever the food is already. This is when food is available to them all through the day. This matter makes the body focused on only one physiological process that is the digestion, which leads to hormonal disturbance including insulin and glucagon. As a result, it gives a higher chance to the fat formation by a biochemical process.
So, the 8 hour diet protects the body from that disturbance and keeps the hormonal rhythmic balance always in its most efficient state.
The guidelines of the 8-hour diet plan: here is what you need to know about following this system
Management of breakfast:
The author David Zinczenko recommends that you have to delay your first-morning meal until the calorie window begins. For example, if you cannot wait until your regular calorie window starts, you can drink a cup of tea or coffee. You are also allowed to do some exercises which will crank up the metabolism in the body. Keep in mind that just after getting up, the body wants only one thing: to burn energy. So, that will help to gain more access to the stored fat when exercising on an empty stomach.
Beginning your day with a detox drink will be great as it helps the body to get rid of the dangerous toxins; and also, helps the body to lose weight. Also, it keeps a healthy skin. Keep your eyes on the right food list.
The detox drinks include green tea, lemon, avocado, buttermilk detox drink, minty guava-weight-loss detox drink, honey, and ginger. You can also have a pineapple lemonade, peach, and cucumber weight loss drink, honeydew melon detox drink, slim waist watermelon drink, mint juice, detox water, strawberry and cinnamon detox water. You can create a cheat sheet.
2-sample meal plan:
- The breakfast meal includes the following options:
- oatmeals with blueberry and maple syrup
- museli with fruits
- wheat flakes and milk
- scrambled eggs with toast
- coffee and water should also be supplied.
The pre-lunch snack at 11:30 options are:
- The whole grain sandwich with salad
- Granola bar
- Cucumber and watermelon salad
- Four almonds
The lunch 12:30 -1:00 options are the following:
- Two slices of pizza
- Potato chips
- One apple
- Backed fish and veggies with low fat yoghurt
- Tortilla wrap with low fat yoghurt
- Vegetable sandwich with fresh fruit juice
The second snack, or post-lunch snack, at 2:30 p.m options:
- One medium-sized dark chocolate brownie
- One fudge brownie
- One orange or apple
Evening snack 4:00 Options:
- A small bowl of potato wafers
- A small bowl of popcorn
- A small bowl of nachos with low-fat mayonnaise dip
The dinner 5:00 p.m to 6:00 p.m Options
- Grilled vegetable/chicken kebab + bread pudding
- Asian-style chicken soup/Indian lentil soup+ fruit custard
- Vegetable lasagne + cucumber juice
- Kidney beans chili + 2-3 chapatis + glass of warm milk
- Grilled Salmon Steak
- Baked sweet potato w/butter
- cup of broccoli.
- ½ cup ice cream
Some important tips to be in memory
You may want to think of a practice exercise for 8 minutes because that will lead to boasting the burning ability of the body. Recent studies showed that the best time for sport is between 20:00 to 22:00 , and that will end to build up more muscle mass. You may want to consider such a workout if you are trying to get a PCOs diet support.
You may also want to try walking, jogging, running, rope jumping, aerobics, swimming, biking, playing a sport, dancing, staircase running, climbing, and yoga. These should also accompany a triglycerides diet plan.
The power foods
They can be divided into two groups
The first group is called foods that melt fat which include
- Fish, berry, milk products and legumes
The second group is called foods enhancing health which include
- Vegetables and whole grains
Never forget, the foods to be evaded, make the diet fail and increase the fat storage, and they include fats, oils, and beverages.
- Oils as coconut oil, lard, and excess of butter
Beverages as packaged fruit juices and alcohols
What to do and what not to do?
- Go to sleep three hours after dinner and do not sleep directly after dinner to give a chance to the metabolic activities to take place.
- Never eat an excess amount of fat as oils.
- Drink water regularly as far as you can.
- Do not snack at least after one hour after a meal.
- Avoid alcohols.
Some recipes of the 8-hour diet
- Gnocchi salad with beans and tomato
570 kcal / 2 Powerfoods
Make one dressing of 1 tablespoon of vinegar, two tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Sauté 100 g of herb gnocchi for 5 minutes over medium heat in a pan. Let cool down. Mix with five cherry tomatoes, 100 g drained white beans (tin), one bunch of chopped basil and the dressing in a bowl. Plan the parmesan with 20 g.
- Vegetable rice
360 kcal / 3 Powerfoods
Simmer 1/2 finely chopped shallot in 1 tablespoon of oil until glassy. Add 50 g risotto rice and sauté briefly. Add 100 ml vegetable stock and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add 200 g of chopped tomatoes and a small diced zucchini, cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with basil leaves.
335 kcal / 2 Powerfoods
Blanch 1 ripe banana with 100 ml milk, one tsp peanut butter, one tsp agave syrup and four ice cubes in the blender or with the mixer to a creamy shake. Pour over a cup of espresso.
- Berry smoothie
270 kcal / 3 Power Foods
Puree 200 g blueberries with 100 ml blueberry juice, 100 g yogurt, four ice cubes and one teaspoon flaxseed in a blender or with the blender to a creamy smoothie.
Some tricks tested by the scientists.
- Fast, slim tricks for in between these strategies have been tested by scientists and are guaranteed to work. Try it!
- Laughter distracts. This surely can benefit a heart healthy diet menu.
- Researchers from Brazil have discovered that hearty laughter stimulates the release of the body’s happiness hormones. There is almost no better way to fight cravings.
- Sleep 8 hours a night.
- A study by the University of Warwick has found that sleep deprivation almost doubles the risk of getting fat. The reason: The body produces too little leptin (a satiety hormone) in sleep deprivation and releases plenty of ghrelin during the day, a metabolic hormone that increases the appetite
- Call your best friend
- If you have an overwhelming desire for chocolate late at night, listening to the voice of a close person can help. This releases the anti-stress hormone oxytocin. This relaxes and stops the appetite, according to a study by the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Drink enough
- You can drink water at any time of the day or night. It increases calorie consumption by about 100 calories per liter. If you prefer it warm, green tea inhibits the storage of fat in the body
- Eat recipes where the mix is right. The choice is yours: These suggestions for breakfast, lunch, and dinner each provide at least two Power foods and are thus ideally suited for the 8-hour diet.
The pros and cons of the 8-hour diet review
The pros are:
- The foods taken during the eight hours plan help to fill the stomach and that adjusts the appetite together with the appetite hormones.
- The daily workout required for the success of the plan (8 minutes exercise program ) keeps the metabolic activity of the body and muscles active and also enhance the fat cells to burn and utilize fat to produce more energy which leads to weight-loss.
- The maintenance of the balance of hormonal activity including the insulin and metabolic hormones
- It gives the dieter the freedom to choose his window.
- Eating a high caloric food will not lead to weight loss
- The diet can not fit with certain bodies like obese
- You may feel snacking after dinner
- Not suitable for people suffering from unstable blood sugar
- Following the diet, only three days per week will not be effective
- It is not suitable for people with metabolic disorders like the metabolic syndrome.
The results of the 8-hour diet: should we do it?
The positives and negatives of the 8-hour diet seem to be balanced so; it may work with the majority or at least 50% of people.
The 8-hour diet is part of the idea of interval fasting. There are exciting studies – but so far only on animals: biologists at the Salk Institute in La Jolla divided their laboratory mice into two groups. Both got the same amount of food. Group 1 ate around the clock, group 2 only in a time window of 9 hours. The rest of the time, the mice from the group had to fast. After 38 weeks, they had on average 25 percent less weight than the comparison group.
However, such results are not easily transferred to humans, and it has not been adequately researched on what exactly the difference is due. Even the claim that the 16-hour fasting accelerates the metabolism is not yet sufficiently documented.
The senior biologist Maria Wolfesberger from the Elisabethinen Hospital in Linz expresses himself in the 8-hour diet as counterproductive to the word “diet”: “Diet means that you do it for a few weeks and then return to your usual eating rhythm. The result is the yo-yo effect “. Also, she lacks the movement aspect in the “8-hour diet.
So we can say that the 8- hour diet could work according to the condition of the person.
The success stories of the 8-hour diet: what to expect as far results?
Many people who followed this system declared the following:
Their conclusion from the first week was the following:
- Not yet complete habituation to the ‘8-hour diet.’
- No major problems or obstacles discovered.
It fits surprisingly well in the regular life.
Especially at the beginning, some felt like they had a constant feeling of hunger. They thought it was not bad and with enough water, one can meet the good; but, it was still leaving them in doubt about whether the principle is as useful as they think. Then, from one day to the next, it was gone. They still remember it very well. Tuesday I started with part-time fasting and the week after that Thursday was all good. The habituation seems to have taken me not quite 1.5 weeks. When the topic of ‘continuing hunger’ was off the table, my remaining doubts were dispelled. My recommendation gets the principle “8-hour diet” with it! Forget about the Ketosis diet menu or even the high protein low carb diet.
So in the end, it takes us to say that the 8-hour diet is a perfect example of applying for the medicine in our life, after mentioning all about the 8-hour menu, you may feel like you would like to give it a run. You can feel free to invest in the diet’s audiobook.