What is the diet to lower triglycerides?
Talking about a diet with the aim of lower the triglycerides, there is not a specific diet, but the vegetarian diet and in particular the vegan diet are the most useful diets for bringing down the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides. When following a diet for high triglycerides should consider any other health problems such as diabetes mellitus (caused by high blood sugar quantities). Studies show that high triglycerides increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, fatty liver, and stroke, both in men and women. Fortunately, the reduction of triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood is possible with a change in diet and lifestyle. The problem is usually a wrong lifestyle and an unbalanced diet. These changes are the same as those needed for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Probably you know that HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol should be high, while LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol should be low level to avoid cardiovascular risk, especially when talking about obese and overweight people. Triglycerides can be the factor responsible for the low satisfaction after a given meal. The specialists in this sector can help us: studies showed that elevated triglycerides values could block the hormone that signals to the brain when our stomach is full. The obvious consequence is that you will eat more; and, as a result, the weight increases. You may be wondering how to lower triglycerides. Well, here is your answer.
7-day diet to lower triglycerides
The menu that you should eat, when there is an excess of triglycerides, must be low in fats. In the fat group: you also should avoid saturated and trans fats. To lose weight and reduce the values of triglycerides and cholesterol, sleep is really important; you need at least 7 to 8 hours a day. Remember to eat at least five times and make sure you split your meals like in such a way that you take breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner.
Here it is, the list of guidelines that are useful for your low triglycerides journey:
- Avoid all foods that could become food triggering high triglycerides such as lard, margarine, butter, salami, sausages, red meat, whole milk, lard and aged cheeses. Avoid as much as possible to consume red meat, egg yolk, inner milk, because they are rich in cholesterol and therefore should be consumed as little as possible. Avoid margarine because it is produced by hydrogenating an oil and contains trans fatty acids that increase bad cholesterol. Start eliminating these bad fats, one by one, from your diet. If you don’t like them is better.
- Abolish the consumption of alcoholic beverages, as other balanced diet and healthy lifestyle; you should avoid them because these are rich in sugars and calories, which in the long run increase both the levels of triglycerides in the blood and those of cholesterol.
- 3. Limit the use of white sugar: it is essential to replace the common sugar with a natural sweetener.
- Replace the consumption of refined cereals with whole grains: this food choice, just like all whole grain foods, is rich in fibers. So, it is excellent for those who suffer from high triglycerides, because they help to keep your levels under control.
- Consume fruits, vegetables, and legumes, because they are rich in plant fibers, and can promote intestinal motility, especially oranges and kiwis which are rich in vitamin C. This substance is excellent as it can perform an antioxidant action; and thus, prevents the formation of blood fats.
- Prefer to consume foods with high levels of omega 3: recent studies have shown that food options that contain omega-three fatty acids can significantly reduce triglyceride levels in the blood. This substance is present in cod, salmon, catfish, and herring. It is also possible to integrate omega-three by adding fish oil into your diet. According to researchers at the Cardiovascular Health Research Center in South Dakota, omega-3 fatty acids are useful for reducing plasma triglyceride levels.
How does the triglycerides diet plan look like
Breakfast: Start the day eating some fruit. Then a cup of soy milk with a slice of wholemeal toast or a low-fat muffin. As a sweetener, you can use honey. Another good breakfast choice is a serving of oatmeal prepared with half a cup of berries and two tablespoons of flax seeds. Add a portion of yogurt and finish the meal with an orange juice. Oatmeal, oranges, and grapes are rich in fibers that have anti-cholesterol properties. You should know that eating 5-10g of dietary fiber a day can decrease total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels. Some might even opt for a raw food diet meal plan.
As snack that helps HDL, you can have a mixture of a delicious and refreshing smoothie with pieces of banana, plus a sprinkling of almond milk, better if without any added sugar.
Lunch: one of the most important meal. To stay within the recommended doses, at lunch avoid fatty meat and eat small portions. You can follow the example of a vegetarian diet which is great to lower cholesterol. Lunch includes mainly fruit and vegetables, for example, a salad, add some tofu or egg whites, then choose green leafy vegetables such as spinach. Two days a week, you can also eat salmon, it is an excellent source of omega-3 (as said before is very important) and protein. A good alternative for a low-fat lunch is a sandwich with 80 grams of tuna on a slice of wholemeal bread, with some vegetables like tomato and some lettuce. To finish the meal, you can also add a low-fat yogurt. You might take a look at the 3-day apple diet if youlike; but, it surely is not the right pick to lower your triglyerides levels.
Snack: a snack, choose organic seeds and nuts which are nutritious and contain fats that can quickly reduce cholesterol levels, even if they are very much calories. You can have some ideas from the Khloe Kardashian weight loss diet.
Dinner: at dinner, when you need more protein, it is better salmon and tuna that have less unhealthy fats and less cholesterol, avoid butter or margarine because these foods are full of trans fat. Instead is better extra virgin olive oil or canola oil to prepare recipes that reduce cholesterol. Some examples of dinner can be a grilled trout with a portion of brown rice and a cup of steamed broccoli or with cooked sweet potatoes and cauliflower is a healthy and balanced meal. To improve cholesterol values and to lower triglycerides, some cold-water fish such as trout, salmon, mackerel, and tuna have essential omega-3 fatty acids that can be useful. You can prepare a meat-free dinner with a bowl of vegetarian-rich chili, 2 portions of vegetables mixed with balsamic vinegar and a teaspoon of organic extra virgin olive oil, 30 grams of millet with a refreshing glass of juicy orange juice. Anti-oxidants in organic extra virgin olive oil help to reduce high cholesterol.
What is the triglycerides diet food list
What to eat and what to avoid?
- Meat and fish Choose lean meats: chicken, veal, turkey. You can eat fresh or frozen fish and crustaceans: lobsters, crabs, shrimps, oysters. Limit these foods to no more than once a week. Avoid fish and Canned meat fish with the addition of oil, fried fish. About poultry: fried duck and goose, chicken skin, chicken wings. About the meat side: ribs, minced meat, organ meat (e.g. liver), bacon, sausage, meat dressing, bologna sauce, salami, paté, seafood contains a lot of cholesterol, but few saturated fats.
- Eggs You can eat egg white, but you must limit the egg yolk to less than two a week.
- Fruit: at least three portions of fresh fruit a day (1 serving = ½ cup). It is important to eat at least one citrus per day. Avoid fruits and vegetables prepared with butter, cream, sauce or fried. Fruit packed with a lot of syrup or sugar, sweetened fruit juices, energy drinks, refined products, avoid white foods, such as rice, better than wholemeal
- Vegetables, you can eat vegetables freely throughout the day. Vegetables with dark green leaves (green beans, escarole) are the best for health in general. Cauliflower, broccoli, and celery are recommended because they contain a lot of fiber. The fiber reduces cholesterol. Vegetables must be raw or steamed, olive oil is recommended for seasoning.
- Bread and cereals A slice of wholemeal bread with sesame seeds can be eaten, but crackers should be avoided.
- Whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and millet can replace bread. Avoid butter and soft margarine to season this type of food, especially pasta. Among the best cereals, there is also oats that are rich in fiber.
- Milk and dairy products low-fat milk and cheese and yogurt must be lean.
- Oils and fats Margarine and butter increase triglycerides and LDL cholesterol, so they are foods to avoid. Vegetable oils with a high content of polyunsaturated fats are the most suitable for low triglycerides, in particular, olive and canola oil.
- Desserts: Avoid the processed products found at the supermarket (snacks, biscuits, etc.) because they contain a lot of trans fat. You can have sweet foods that are only found in nature: almonds, honey, and pumpkin. Snacks Dark chocolate is among the less harmful foods, but often the bars contain many sugars, so it is advisable to eat those with a percentage of cocoa over 80%. Also avoid sweet sugar, jam, jelly, candies, bubble gum, fruit in syrup, pastry products: sweets, cakes, biscuits, regular ice cream, sorbet, milk chocolate bars.
- Drinks Fruit juices (maximum 100ml per day); green tea or coffee. Avoid sugary and gassed drinks. Alcohol: avoid or limit to a glass of red wine a day. Avoid soft drinks, sweetened lemonade, iced tea, energy drinks, coffee, liqueurs, cocktails, etc.
Some low cholesterol low triglyceride diet recipes
High cholesterol and high triglycerides are often linked to aging advances in combination with a different hormonal balance and weight accumulation, but also to stress and a wrong diet. Those suffering from high cholesterol and hypertriglyceridemia should pay attention to limiting the consumption of fat. They need to limit themselves to the choice of a good extra virgin olive oil. They also need to eat more fruits and vegetables in general and turn their diet into a higher fiber content. For example, you should keep alternating whole pasta and whole grain rice, and try to opt towards fish replacing meat. More than the elimination of certain foods, the problem of high cholesterol and triglycerides can be solved very quickly, thus changing some eating habits, sleeping more and stressing less, driving every day.
But, if that was not enough, this fabulous 100% natural drink recipe does not cost anything and promises miracles in both cases. You should take maximum attention to the ingredients because you should use them with the peel: so you need them to buy them from organic, and then wash them anyway under running water. For this high cholesterol and triglyceride drink, you need six lemons and four small celery stalks. Take a large glass bowl, well dried. Put in six diced lemons and chopped celery ribs. Let the mixture macerate in the fridge for at least 24 hours, covering it with a plate. The next day, filter the result and pour it into a bottle that you will keep in the fridge. Drink half a glass before the three main meals.