What is the 17 Diet Meal Plan?
We live in a world that is bombarded by weight loss diets and systems. When you decide that it is about time to start losing weight or living a healthy lifestyle, you may get overwhelmed! How can you pick your system when there are hundreds on the market and most of them have good results as well as promising before and after results? Most of them rely on the same factors of understanding the food list and what is allowed in the meal plan; then you make your shopping list accordingly, and start your weight-loss journey!
The 17-day diet meal plan is a system that relies on the following:
- 4 different stages that differ in the levels of restrictions.
- You begin with having proteins that are very lean and vegetables that have no starches as well as probiotics.
- Then, you start adding natural starch food; and then progressively begin eating proteins that have higher amounts of fat.
- You get to add at the final stage some more starches
- You end the diet with a maintenance phase
- Sugar is not allowed, and neither are salt, saturated and trans fats.
In other words, the 17-day diet meal plan consists of very lean proteins, more natural food and deficient amounts of carbohydrates. The diet, as mentioned previously, relies on the progressive addition of starch.
What are the basics of the 17 diet meal plan?
This regimen has 4 different cycles. Each has its own specifications and allowances. You cannot shift between the cycles, nor can you change the types of allowed food within each cycle.
The first cycle, cycle 1, is responsible for acceleration. During this step, you will lose weight at a very fast pace. You will also improve the health of your digestive system while cleaning your blood from existing accumulated sugars. This will promote the utilization of fat as a source of energy and prevents the accumulation of fat in the body. So, during this phase you will eat the following:
- Low carbohydrates. You can have two servings of low sugar fruits; but they have to be eaten before 2 pm. Such fruits include apples, berries, pears, plums, red grapes, grapefruits and oranges.
- Low fat. You can have about one to two big spoons of olive oil or flaxseed oil per day.
- Low amounts of processed food
- Water, herbal tea and green tea
- High consumption of vegetables, especially the cleaning ones like artichoke, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, cucumbers, eggplants, garlic, green leaves, kale, okra, onions, parsley, spinach, tomatoes and green beans among others.
- High consumption of lean types of proteins. For example, you are allowed to have up to 2 eggs per day.
- Unlimited amounts of lean meats. These include salmon, sole, flounder, tuna, chicken breasts, lean ground turkey, red snapper.
- Probiotics are allowed, such as low fat yogurt.
This first phase needs to be followed over a period of seventeen days. If, during this phase, you reach your target weight, then you will directly skip to phase 4, that is the maintenance part. If not, then you are about to start phase 2. During phase 1, it is better to avoid alcohol and shellfish.
Phase 2, or cycle 2, is an activation phase where you reset your embolism. The method used is an alternation of calories consumed in such a way that you increase it and then decrease it. This technique will help burn the fat and prevent remaining stagnant on one stubborn weight during your diet. Phase 2 lasts for 17 days, as well. You are not allowed to have alcohol, fruit juices, and processed starches like pasta, bread, oatmeal, and cereals. During phase 2 you can have all the foods belonging to stage 1, in addition to the following:
– Whey proteins.
– Full fat yogurt.
– Natural starches like barley, brown rice, and couscous.
– Starchy veggies like potatoes, corn, sweet potato, yams.
Cycle 3 is the achievement phase where you will learn good eating habits. This period will let you add to the previous steps more food options. So, you will be allowed to add more carbohydrates and lower your consumption of proteins. This stage lasts for 17 days, and you should have already got to your goal weight. During this cycle, you have everything from periods one and two, in addition to the following:
– Some poultry options that are considered fattier than the chicken breast.
– Natural starches like bread, cereals that are high in fibers, pasta, tortillas, corn, ramen, noodles.
– Fruits. You are allowed to have two fruits per day such as apricots, banana, cherries, mango, guava, tangerines and pineapple among many others.
– Low calorie cheese
– Good fats like avocado, light mayonnaise, nuts and seeds, low-fat salad dressings and canola oil among others.
Cycle 4 is the final stage and is the arrival phase. During this stage, you will learn how to keep your dream weight by understanding the ways to mix your food. You will learn how to develop a full meal plan including the snacks. During this cycle, you can start using condiments in moderation. You can, as well, start having a cup of vegetable juice and even some fruit juices, as long as they are unsweetened. The most important thing is for you not binge eat. It is advisable to eat slowly and enjoy the meals. This will help you feel full at the right time. During this maintenance phase, you can start having some alcoholic beverages like wine, beer or liquor. But you can have them only in moderation and only over the weekend. You still need to avoid some food like soups containing milk and creams, like clam chowder soup.
Keep in mind that you will still have to watch your weight. Step on a scale once a week. If you find that you gained around 3 to 5 pounds of weight, then it is time to start these cycles all over again.
What food to avoid on the 17 day diet meal plan
Despite the fact that this weight loss program has four stages, there are many foods that you cannot have throughout all four cycles. These include the following:
- Natural sugar and processed sugar.
- All sugar additives like corn syrup, sucrose, and fructose
- Carbonated beverages
- Honey and maple syrup
- Saturated Fats
- Trans fats
- Salty foods and that include anything in a can, sauces, and some spices
- Condiments like ketchup, as it contains sugar
While on the system, it is advised to have one day that is a detox diet. During this day you will have to drink 3 cups of a particular smoothie at the three main meals of the day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The smoothie has to include the following ingredients: whey protein powder, almond milk (the unsweetened one), low-fat yogurt, pineapples, banana, strawberries, spinach, truvia, matcha green tea powder.
What about these weight loss diets?
The 17-day diet meal plan is known to have several health benefits including:
– lowering the risks of many chronic diseases like carbohydrate sensitivity, gallstones, diabetes type-2, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and joint disorders among so many others.
Please, do not decide on your own to follow this system in order to treat your issues. You need to consult your doctor before doing so.
In case you did not feel very comfortable following this kind of regimen to lose your excess weight, you can pick among the many other existing diets. For example, you can select the gluten-free diet plan, especially if you suffer from celiac disease. The wheat belly diet recipe is another way to lose your weight while putting your body on a healthy tract. Some might feel more comfortable to follow the carb cycling diet menu. This regimen is an excellent option for bodybuilders and fitness models. It allows you to alternate your days and end up having some of them with very high carbs.
If you want something easy to follow, you can have the detox smoothie diet or the natural detox diet. Both are simple and considered detoxifying to your body. The most important factor is for you to feel comfortable and at ease with whatever choice you take.