What is the macro diet?
The macro diet was once considered the hippie of diets. The diet is not just a system that helps you lose weight; it is, rather, a new way of life where you learn to live healthy and well. This system promotes a holistic way of living for men, women and children, with unlimited health benefits. When you start on a macro diet, you are advised to eat several times a day, listen to your body, chew your food slowly and stay active. You are also advised to keep a positive mentality.
This diet, very rich in veggies and fish, is a very healthy system for those who have diabetes and other heart issues. This system does help control your cholesterol levels. From another angle, it restricts sugar and fatty unhealthy food. So this makes it also a great option for diabetic people. You might also want to check the apple cider vinegar diet.
As a matter of fact, if you think about the whole concept of the macro diet, you will understand that any diet that uses the same guidelines will be a great, healthy way of eating. For other diet ideas, you can check the fodmap diet recipes.
Macro diet for weight loss
The basics of the macro diet are whole grains, vegetables and beans. As a matter of fact, studies show that when you eat a diet that is plant-based, you are more likely to be healthy and live longer. Here are the basics of the macro diet:
- 40 to 60% of your food has to be whole grains that are organically grown. This includes brown rice, barley, oat and corn.
- 30% of your food has to be veggies that are also organic.
- 5 to 10% have to be beans or tofu or miso or even sea vegetables.
- You are allowed to eat fish and seafood that are fresh.
- Fruits, pickles and nuts are allowed several times a week.
- If you want to make your food sweeter, you can use rice syrup.
- Eating dairy food and eggs is not recommended. You are also not encouraged to eat poultry products and processed food as well as refined sugars.
- As far veggies, you are not allowed to eat spinach, tomatoes and zucchini.
- You are advised to drink only when you feel thirsty.
- Spicy things are not advised.
- These are the banned drinks: coffee, soda, and alcoholic beverages.
- You are expected to chew your food more than 50 times. Also, you need to take some pauses while eating.
- The diet can be considered a plant based diet.
The diet itself needs a lot of efforts to be able to manage it. You need to start following it gradually as it will be very tough to change your entire diet at once. The macro diet is considered a philosophy more than a diet. So, the intensity of the diet will depend on how deep you want to go within the philosophy. There is also a spiritual face to this system of dieting. For those looking for a different type of weight loss, you can take a look at the brat diet recipes or the warrior diet before and after.
The way you prepare your food is simple. It is boiled, steamed or baked. Some hardcore followers do not use electricity to cook and they only cook using natural materials like glass or clay. You will also need to take into consideration that most of the food and meals will be prepared from organic products and are made from scratch; so, you need to give yourself enough time to cook a meal or two. Unlike vegetable diet weight loss diets, the macro diet allows eating fish and seafood. But, if you want to keep your vegan practices and go macro as well, you can do some alterations and carry on with your wellness mission. If this is your case, you will need to watch your vitamin B12, iron, zinc, and omega-3. For those who are allergic to wheat, you have to know that the regular macro diet does not ban gluten.
The good side of this system is that it does not cost you any penny more than the food you are eating. So you will not have to worry about any additional cost. However, if you would like to know more about the philosophy of this system, you can book yourself a coach at the Kushi institute. You will not have to look for any weight loss pill like the Garcinia Cambogia diet.
The idea behind this diet is that it is your answer to healthy living. It is very nutritious and is not high in calories. There are no real proofs that this type of diet can heal diseases, but many believe such claims. They live their life depending on the sacred and protective values of the macro system. You can encounter a lot of before and after results and reviews all over the internet. These will help you explore the diet more thoroughly.
Macro diet meal plan: a sample
If you are planning on following the macro diet, then here is a diet meal plan put together for you to facilitate your journey.
- Breakfast: you can have the power eggs that will give you 21g of proteins, 17g of fat, and 11g of fibers with 24g of carbs.
- Snack: some vanilla protein shakes with two cups of grapes. This way, you will have 38g of proteins, 6 grams of fat, 52g of carbs and 4g of fibers.
- Lunch: a tuna and green salad will be a great option. This way, you will have 28g of proteins, 4g of fat, 34g of carbs and 6g of fibers.
- Snack: a Greek yogurt protein bar that could contain 15g of proteins, 4g of fat, 19g of carbs and 3g of fibers.
- Dinner: eggplant primavera (check the recipe below) and one ounce of dark chocolate. Your dinner will provide you with a total of 46g of proteins, 18g of fat, 31g of carbs, and 12g of fibers.
Macro diet recipes
A macro diet is healthy and beneficial for everyone. To follow it, you will need to make some sacrifices in your time and make drastic changes to your existing diet. Dieting is already is a tough task that requires commitment and endeavor. So, here is a little help that can give you some ideas about possible meals to eat when on a macro diet.
- Tofu and kale: for this meal, you will need some sweet potatoes, canola oil, onions, tofu, garlic powder, cumin, salt, turmeric, and kale.
- Berry oats: this recipe contains oats, coconut milk, chia seeds, almonds, maple syrup and vanilla extract. You will have to mix all the ingredients and refrigerate overnight.
- Spinach feta wrap: this is a very tasty option that includes some whole wheat tortillas, mushrooms, black pepper, spinach, eggs, feta cheese, and sundried tomatoes.
- Chocolate coconut oats: you will need some rolled oats, chia seeds, unsweetened soy milk, with some coconut flakes, almonds that are sliced, and chocolate chips that are non-dairy. You can also add some maple syrup.
- Avocado tuna salad: this is a great lunch option. It is made of some tuna chunks, avocados, plain yogurt, and lemon juice. You will also need some lettuce and sprouts with tomatoes.
Remember that this is a healthy holistic diet, so you need to cook your food from scratch. You also need to get organically grown fruits and vegetables. The fish has to be wild and not farm-raised. There are several cookbooks that can provide you with numerous healthy macro recipes. It will be wise to invest in such a book, or you can always check the internet for some recipes from people like you who have embraced this new way of life. Whatever you do, you have to know that you should never give up on reaching your goals and aspirations. If this diet is the one that inspired you, then get yourself together and make it happen.
Macro diet calculator
The macro diet is far beyond a system that counts the grams of macronutrients, or proteins, carbs and fat. You will also have to count your calories. This will help you understand how your calories are provided to your body. You will know which types of food are giving you how many calories and macro nutrients. You will also end up making the right choices for you to live better. You will start choosing whole food over processed ones. The good side is that it can be customized. It is a flexible kind of diet. One can say that the macro diet has similarities to the paleo diet because it gives a major importance to whole food while ditching processed. However, it is different because it is not one system that is followed by everyone the same way. It is a diet that can be flipped. It is not a low carb diet but one that is low in processed sugars.
One of the tools you need to have is a good calculator that will help you count the calories and macro nutrients consumed. Do not think of this diet as a tough one that prevents you from eating the food you like. You have to approach it as the system that will teach you how to eat ideally, making your calories consumption more efficient. There are a lot of resources you can use like “For Dummies” simplified books. You can even use a diet planner to know how much you had of nutrients and calories, and how much you are allowed to have for the remaining of the day. After all, you will need to count your grams and calories. There are several tools all over the internet that can help you.