What is a low sodium diet?
Sodium, by definition, is a very important mineral to our body and life. It helps maintain a proper balance of the fluids in our system. This mineral can be naturally occurring in food or added. In general, for healthy people, it is recommended to take 2300 mg of sodium per day. When you follow a low sodium diet, you are making the right choices for a healthy heart. You will be able to control your heart failure problems and prevent any possible heart disease like high blood pressure. You can always look up detox diets that can help you cleanse your system.
You can couple the low sodium diet with one that is low in carbs and you will be able to manage your cholesterol as well, turning your entire dietary system into a diabetic diet. When you limit your intake of salt, it will help you manage the amount of fluids that circulate all over your system. Maintaining a healthy weight is of major importance when you are trying to maintain a healthy heart. You may look up what is a Paleo diet.
What are low sodium foods?
Here is a great food list that you can follow up when deciding to go on a diet that is low in sodium.
- Fresh fruits
- Fresh veggies and frozen veggies
- Canned veggies that are low in sodium
- Frozen and dried fruits
- Canned fruits
- Rice and pasta
- Unsweetened oatmeal
- Unsalted popcorn
- Fish and shellfish
- Dried peas and beans
- Unsalted nuts
- Fat free dairy and reduced salt cheeses
- Unsalted butter and margarine
What are the low sodium diet plan Tips?
So, if you have decided to follow the low sodium diet, you can follow the below guidelines to excel at your regimen.
- Remove the salt shaker from the table. You are allowed to have only the minimum amount of salt. So, based on the fact that some foods already have salt in them, you’d better not add any to your meals.
- Try to get rid of seasonings like MSG, garlic salt, meat tenderizers, and sauces like barbeque sauce.
- Make your best effort to use fresh ingredients or frozen ones. Stay away from canned veggies and meats.
- When you cook any recipe, make sure you do not add salt. Salt should not cause any issue when removed unless you are cooking a recipe that contains yeast.
- If you want to marinade your meats, do not add salt. Instead, you can soak your meats in pineapple, limes, or oranges.
- Do not eat canned food like soups, cooked pasta, rice mixed with seasonings, cereals, puddings and sauces.
- Read the labels and pick food that have less than 600mg of salt.
- If you want to get ready-made canned food, pick the low sodium choices.
- Go low sodium for your cheese as well.
- Try to season with fresh herbs like basil, oregano and fresh garlic.
- Do not use salt substitutes.
- Limit the food that contain salt the most, such as breads and bagels, tortillas, wraps, cold cuts and cured meats, pizza, poultry, soups and sandwiches.
Low Sodium Diet Recipes?
There are so many recipes for meals that are low in sodium. Here are a few samples:
- Low Sodium Meatloaf: the ingredient of this meal are one big spoon of olive oil, half a cup of onions that are chopped, one third a cup of celery, one third a cup of carrots, two pounds of lean meat that is ground, one cup of rolled oats, one egg and one small spoon of fresh garlic. You will also need one big spoon of Worcester sauce, half a cup of milk, two spoons of Mrs. Dash mix and half a spoon of ground pepper. For the sauce, you will need eight ounces of tomato sauce that does not have any salt in it, one forth a cup of sugar, one big spoon of mustard and one big spoon of vinegar. This meal will take about one hour to prepare but is surely worth it. This recipe is a great low fat meal and can be a great meal in the Rock food diet.
- Heart Healthy chicken soup: this is a great recipe that has many benefits. You will need about 40 minutes to prepare it and the meal will contain about 143 calories per portion. The ingredients are very simple and consist of o.25 cup of butter (unsalted), two cups of chopped onions, two cups of carrots diced, two cups of celery, some water, low sodium chicken breast and one cup and a half of long grain rice. This recipe can easily be a part of the 1200 calorie diet menu.
- Low sodium peanut butter bars: these bars are made of one cup of almond meal, one big spoon of coconut flour, a pinch of salt, three big spoons of coconut oil, and ½ a spoon of vanilla extract. All these are for the crust. Now, to prepare the peanut butter layer, you will need one jar of peanut butter (unsalted and unsweetened), half a cup of coconut flour, ½ a cup of monk fruit, one small spoon of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Now for the topping, you will need two ounces of baking chocolate, two small spoons of coconut oil, one fourth a spoon of vanilla extract, two big spoons of monk fruit and two big spoons of roasted peanuts.
- Low Sodium Fried Chicken: this is a great recipe especially since the chicken is not deep fried but oven fried. So, you can minimize the amount of oil as much as you want. To prepare this meal, you will need one fourth a cup of low fat buttermilk, one fourth a cup of cornflakes, one fourth a cup of cornmeal, two big spoons of flour, one small spoon of spicy seasoning that is salt-free, one small spoon of garlic powder, half a teaspoon of paprika, half a teaspoon of cayenne, one fourth a spoon of salt, one eighth a spoon of dry mustard, and boneless chicken breast.
- Low Sodium pasta sauce: this is an amazing sauce recipe that is great for keeping your heart well. You will need the following ingredients to prepare it: one fourth a cup of chopped onions, 15 ounces of tomato sauce with no salt, eight big spoons of tomato paste (having no salt), one and a half big spoons of sugar, three big spoons of garlic, one big spoon of oregano, two big spoons of basil leaves, one small spoon of crushed red pepper flakes, and one and a half cup of water. You can keep heating until you reach the thickness you want.
- Low Sodium Ranch Recipe: this is an amazing recipe that is very simple. You will need one cup of powdered milk, half a cup of onions, half a cup of parsley, one big spoon of powdered onions, one big spoon of powdered garlic, three big spoons of chives, one small spoon of dill, and half a small spoon of pepper.
- Low Sodium Lo mein: this is a great recipe that can be simple. All you will need is eight ounces of linguine or noodles, half a cup of tomato puree, two big spoons of rice vinegar, two big spoons of brown sugar, one fourth a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, two big spoons of sesame, one big spoon of canola oil, eight ounces of pork that is ground, four ounces of mushrooms, half a pound of carrots, four cloves of garlic, one fresh ginger piece, one medium zucchini and ½ a small cabbage. The recipe takes about 30 minutes to prepare and is worth it.
- Low sodium biscuits: this is an amazing homemade recipe that will take about 25 minutes to prepare and bake. You will need two cups of flour, one big spoon of sodium free baking powder, one third a cup of butter mixed with canola oil, one small spoon of sugar, and one cup of low fat milk.
Low Sodium diet Menu?
There are several diets on the market, all promoting weight loss. One can take a look at the 3-day diet reviews. From another angle, you may also find some weight loss pills that have been praised by many. Think of Phentermine diet pills, for example. Below you can find three options for every meal of the day. You can flip them and mix and match among these options. So, here is what you can eat.
- Toast and Eggs: you can have two slices of whole grain toast with low fat margarine and a scrambled egg. Do not add salt to your eggs.
- Fruits and yogurt: you may pick a low fat yogurt and top it with some fruits like berries. You have the choice to pick Greek yogurt over the regular yogurt.
- Oatmeal: you can have a bowl of homemade oatmeal and top it with some fruits or low fat milk. This option can easily be a part of the Laura Govan weight loss diet.
- Tuna Salad Sandwich: This has to be prepared at home by you. You have to get a low sodium tuna or a regular tuna that you need to rinse with water. Then, chop some celery and mix the whole with light mayonnaise. You can have it in a whole grains sandwich and a fruit on the side. You are also allowed to have a portion of low fat fruity yogurt.
- Salad with chicken: get your greens and mix them with sliced pieces of chicken breast that you grilled previously. Do not add salt. You can add herbs to flavor the protein. As for a dressing, you can have a mix of olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Peanut butter sandwich: you can have few slices of whole grains bread with some peanut butter and jelly. Add a cup of milk and a banana and you are off to a great meal, a rather tasty one.
- Pasta with tomato sauce: you can boil some pasta without any added salt to the water. Then, instead of using ready-made sauces, you can create your own pasta red sauce. Feel free to check the recipe mentioned above.
- Steamed fish with some brown rice and steamed broccoli. Make sure you do not use salt; but rather, replace them with some herbs, fresh garlic and fresh onions. Garlic powders are very high in salt.
- Steak and potatoes: bake the potatoes and replace the butter with some light yogurt. This will save you a lot of saturated fat and salt.
You can have a lot of snacks that are suitable for a diet that is low in sodium. Before buying anything canned, read the labels to make sure you detect any hidden salt source. In case you are trying to lose weight at the same time, you can take a look at the Tom Brady diet plan.
- Fresh fruits
- Raw veggies you can always mix them with dill and low fat Greek yogurt for a more filling meal.
- Unsalted crackers
- Unsalted nuts
- A hard-boiled egg. (Feel free to check the boiled egg diet plan.)
- Rice cereals with some low fat milk