Who is Dr. Nowzaradan?
Probably many of you know who Dr. Nowzaradan is: this man is a doctor of Iranian origin, considered one of the leading specialists in bariatric surgery and treatment of obesity in the United States. The popularity of his specialized center located in Houston has grown, thanks to his television program. The TV show follows the events of some patients that are suffering from very serious obesity, whose weights range from 250 to 400 kgs. They do return to a normal life thanks to the intervention of Dr. Nowzaradan. For other healthy plans, you can check the heart healthy diet menu.
Whoever follows or has ever seen his TV program knows that for the first months before the intervention, Nowzaradan asks his patients to follow a very restrictive diet, ranging from 1200 to 800 calories a day diet. It is a diet low in carbohydrates, where most of the calories come only from vegetables and some fruits. The rest of the diet is based on proteins.The diet is not similar to the Volumetrics diet food list or the typical Japanese diet.
Patients follow Dr. Nowzaradan’s diet mainly for two reasons: first of all, they have to demonstrate that they can follow a very restrictive regimen autonomously and without hospitalization. Secondly, their state of severe obesity, which forces them to a life in a wheelchair, requires a very drastic treatment before the intervention, because the subjects need to lose 10 to 20 kilos a month before going into a surgery room. You are not enjoying a fun diet like the banana only diet. When you pick this system, you know that you need to make changes. You do not need to resort to diet pills like the Ephedrine diet pills.
But many ask: How is the Dr. Nowzaradan’s diet plan structured? In fact, during the sessions and the program, the doctor never speaks in detail about the diet. Well, what you will see below is the program that is delivered to patients, to be followed with rigor to achieve the desired result. What the diet showed, in this case, is the most intensive one, which is usually used in people that must lose a lot of weight pre-surgery. You can take a look at the Emily Ratajkowski diet.
The success of the routes seen in the television series is also an incentive, especially for the US population, to fight the intense problem of obesity. In fact, behind the patients who are followed by cameras, in that sort of timeline, hides a bitter reality: they are in fact part of that 5-10% of those who pass this path with good results; while in the vast majority of cases, patients cannot fight their old eating habits.This is not similar to the Garcinia Cambogia diet. Indeed, the beloved Nowzaradan is known for his tenacity; that’s why he shares so much security and strength that will change patients’ lives. These are fundamental elements especially in those cases where a rigid and impartial moral support can be decisive on a diet. You do not need to take a look at the fat burning diet.
dr nowzaradan diet plan
This diet is not recommended for people who are a normal amount of overweight or even at a non-severe obesity stage, and who may ambulate. This article is for the only purpose of illustrating the daily routine adopted for that type of patients. The patients who follow slimming diets are followed and monitored by qualified medical personnel, who evaluate the program also on the basis of pathologies or any food allergies/intolerances. The diet is structured for people with a severe obesity index.
OBJECTIVE: 1200 DAILY CALORIES / LOSS OF 5% OF THE BODY WEIGHT COMPARED TO THE INITIAL.
30 days diet guidelines
- Main purpose: to reduce the size of the liver, increase the ability to walk and reduce weight to prepare for gastric bypass surgery. The focus is not on the post-surgery; but rather, on the pre-surgery.
- The diet involves the use of products which Dr. Nowzaradan relies on. Dietary and high protein drinks and snacks, not different from those commonly sold in specialized stores.
- The diet requires the patient to set a weight-loss goal, which is usually agreed with the doctor and provides for a 30-day period of losing an average of 5% of the initial weight.
- It is important to keep mealtimes regular, never skip them.
- There are 5 high-protein bars available per day, one of them to be used as breakfast.
- During the day, people can use the remaining 4 bars allowed, when feeling hungry.
- Perform physical activity for 30 minutes a day based on your walking state.
Dr. Nowzaradan diet chart
The MAIN MEAL PER DAY IS PERMITTED, BASED ON MEAT AND VEGETABLES, WITHOUT STARCH.
Choose the meat cuts to be used and the combinations allowed in the following list. Make sure you weigh or measure all the foods consumed. It is recommended to keep a diary and to note every day the foods eaten in each meal and their quantities. Once a week, you are advised to take in your weight. You can take a look at many diet books. Some even prefer the Slim Fast diet results.
Choice of meat
Quantity: 140g of lean, boiled or grilled meat. It is forbidden to eat fried food.
- White meat with or without skin
- Dark meat without skin
- Chicken breast
- Most fish and mollusks are lean fats
- fillet steak
Choice of the side dish
For the main course, it is recommended to combine the meat and raw or cooked vegetables (not fried), to be chosen from among those listed below:
- Brussels sprouts
- Green onion
- Green leafy salad
The following vegetables are to be avoided: corn, peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, dried beans, lentils. You can also take a look at the sugar detox diet.
Choice of sides:
As the sides, you are allowed to have some food options that contain fats. You can combine one of the following fatty substances as a condiment:
- 30gr avocado
- One teaspoon of oil
- 8-10 olives
- Six almonds
- Ten peanuts
- Four walnuts
- One small spoon of margarine or low-fat butter
- One teaspoon of low-fat mayonnaise
- One slice of salami
- 1/2 tablespoons of low-fat spreadable cheese
- Two big spoons of sour cream
- Low-fat cream with three tablespoons
- The following aromas can be used to flavor, in limited quantities (1-2gr per meal):
- Any spice or mixed spices
- Lemon and lime juice
- Chilli sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Substitute for sugar
It is important to underline that it is necessary to have adequate hydration, drinking at least 1.5 liters of water every day. Avoid any calorie-containing beverage.
dr nowzaradan 1200 calorie diet
A diet to help you lose weight must be properly balanced in the quantities of food. Your body needs the energy to function normally and stay alive. You can get this energy from the nutrients of food that you eat. Carbohydrates, fats, proteins, as well as vitamins and minerals must be taken in a balanced manner in order not to harm the body.
The average daily composition of the 1200 calorie diet is: proteins g 74 = 24% of total calories, carbohydrates g 145 = 44% of total calories and fat g 42 = 32% of total calories.
A 1200 calorie diet can be divided as follows: breakfast is 200 calories, lunch is 300 calories, while dinner is 700 calories. There are different possibilities for the single meal, but no snacks are allowed.
An example can be the following:
A 1200 calorie diet split into 3 meals
- Partially skimmed milk with barley (140 gr.) [Alternatively: a jar of fruit yogurt (125 gr.) And 50 ml of coffee]
- A teaspoon of sugar (5 gr.)
- Two wholemeal pieces of toast (30 gr.) [Alternatively: dry biscuits, bread, crackers, biscuits (30 gr.)]
- Whole spaghetti (70 gr.) Alternatively: Rice (70 gr.)
- An average dish of grilled peppers (150 gr.) [Alternatively: raw vegetables with oil (90 gr.), Vegetables cooked with oil (150 gr.), Dried vegetables with oil (30 gr.), Mixed vegetables in the pan (140 gr.)]
- A teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil (5 gr.) [Alternatively: soy, corn or grapeseed oil (5 gr.)]
- A medium cup of strawberries (160 gr.) [Alternatively: fresh seasonal fruit (140 gr.)]
- Mineral water
- A glass of wine
- A slice of paillard (120 gr.) [Alternatively: veal, beef, chicken or grilled turkey (120 gr.); trout, sole, cod, plaice, hake or swordfish (160 g); eggs (100 gr.); bresaola, raw ham or lean cooked (80 gr.); rabbit or game (120 gr.); mozzarella cheese or ricotta cheese (40 gr.); light cheeses (70 gr.)]
- A medium portion of grated carrots (130 gr.) [Alternatively: raw vegetables (130 gr.) Or cooked (160 gr.)]
- A tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (5 gr.) [Alternatively: seed oil, corn oil or grapeseed oil (5 gr.)]
- Three slices of bread (50 gr.) Or whole crackers (40 gr)
- Apples (160 gr.) [Alternatively: fresh seasonal fruit (160 gr.)]
- A glass of wine.
Drinks are not counted in the recipes, which is often responsible for the failure of food diets. People who used to drink wine each meal or other drinks like beer, Coke, fruit juices, or milk can take in from 300 to 1000 kcal per day without knowing it.
Water is the only recommended drink. Also allowed: coffee and tea without sugar or with sweetener, Diet Coke or similar drinks (with sweeteners) where the caloric intake is practically nil. Milk is allowed only as a component of the recipe. For fruits, it is very useful to have the calories gross. For example, the gross banana supplies 43 kcal per 100 g (66 net); just weigh the banana with the peel and you get the calories of the banana peeled and ready to be eaten by multiplying the gross weight for 43.
People must follow the diet only for the necessary period for the desired weight loss, besides it must be associated with a certain physical activity. If the diet is maintained above 20-30 days, a verification of some laboratory tests is essential. When the desired weight loss is achieved, it is absolutely necessary to introduce other foods into the diet, so that it is richer in order to avoid the occurrence of deficiencies, namely the maintenance diet.
If you wish to start the 1200 calorie diet or any other diet, you always need to consult your doctor before starting. Every person is different from the other and has different needs and precautions to be taken.