Every man and woman wants to look for the perfect diet that can give them the perfect results. We are surrounded by many systems that have great reviews. Picking the right plan can be tricky; but once you choose the right one, you are in until you get rid of all that weight that has been bothering you. After all, every problem can have a whole list of solutions. The trick is that you need to pick what is the best one for you. Weight loss plans have many different guidelines. Some might dictate your snacks and breakfasts, while others might offer you a full menu planner. The definition of each plan is clear and handouts can be given to clarify the guidelines further. Investing in a cookbook can help, at times; but picking the right diet will give you the best results.
What is the DASH diet?
The DASH diet is a system powered by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute in the USA. It is called DASH because it refers to Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. Hypertension happens when you have high blood pressure. This is the kind of pressure that our blood exerts on the organs and arteries as it is passing through. It is determined by looking at two numbers: the systolic pressure and the diastolic pressure. The first one happens when your heart beats; the second one is when your heart is at rest, in between two heart beats.
Over a period of eight years, this system has been ranked as number one! It is very beneficial for those suffering from diabetes and many other heart diseases, as it helps lower the risk for blood pressure, stroke, heart failures, kidney stones, and cholesterol. On top of all the health benefits of this system, it has been embraced as one of the great weight loss diet plans.
What are the basics of the DASH diet?
The DASH diet is based on consuming plant sources. It consists of eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts. Whole grains and good fats are also a stepping stone for this system. Finally, you are advised to take poultry, fish and lean meats as well as non-fat dairy products. So, the way it works is that you enjoy eating your fruits and vegetables while satisfying your hunger from your proteins.
This new system that gets rid of refined sugar and starch is a great way for losing weight. If you want to pick the DASH diet to lose weight, you will still need to count your calories. You cannot keep eating as much as you used to, but with the DASH guidelines you can still lose weight.
Focusing on a well-planned calorie-restricted diet based on the right kinds of food, this system is perfect for those who want to lose a little weight or a large amount of pounds. You can follow it over a short or long period of time. You can divide this diet into two phases.
Phase one will help you:
- Satisfy your hunger
- Feel full for a longer period of time
- Regulate your blood glucose levels
- Curb your cravings
Phase two will help you:
- It is a life plan. This phase can be followed for a longer period of time. It will help keep your blood glucose levels in the norms as well as keep controlling your hunger. During this phase, you keep eating the phase one food items, but can add more choices.
DASH Diet Meal Plans
When you pick a certain diet, it will be very helpful to understand how you can put the meals together to create one healthy day’s menu. For this heart healthy diet plan system, here are a few samples.
Breakfast: A hard-boiled egg with 2 slices of Canadian bacon and a cup of tomato juice
Snack: some baby carrots with a string cheese stick
Lunch: A plate of quinoa Meatless Balls, with some cherry tomatoes and a side of season salad with some Italian dressing. You get to have a small dessert after lunch, such as a cup of sugar-free Jell-O.
Snack: fruity fat-free yogurt with a handful of cashews (that will be around 18 pieces).
Snack: some pepper strips with 2 ounces of guacamole
Dinner: Chicken Kabobs prepared the Mediterranean style with a cup of cooked veggies like carrots and broccoli. For dinner, you also get to have a small dessert. This can be a cup of Jell-O.
Breakfast: An egg omelet with a cup of tomato juice
Snack: 6 cherry tomatoes with one cheese string.
Lunch: 3 pieces of Turkey Roll-ups with some cheese on the outside. You can wrap the whole thing in lettuce. As sides, you can take a cup of coleslaw as well as some raw snow peas. Jell-O seems to be the perfect dessert.
Snack: Some baby carrots with 1 stick of string cheese
Dinner: Grilled turkey meat with a side of sautéed carrots, onions and mushrooms. Eat them with a side of season salad with some Italian light dressing and a cup of Jell-O. When you sautee your food, you can add some lime juice and a little bit of olive oil.
Breakfast: 1 slices of whole wheat toast with 1 egg cooked on top, and 1/4th an avocado, mashed. For fruits, you get an orange.
Snack: a handful of toasted chickpeas
Lunch: 1 cup of Tomato and Artichoke Gnocchi with a bowl of green salad
Snack: dried apricots
Dinner: grilled white fish with 1 cup of cooked couscous and a side of grilled veggies like asparagus, corn and mushrooms. You can have whole wheat toast on the side.
DASH diet Recipes
There are many DASH recipes that one can indulge in. Here are a few of them.
- Strawberry, Melon and Avocado Salad: Make a salad by adding spinach, avocado slices, cantaloupe and strawberries. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and add the following dressing: 1/4th cup of honey with 2 big spoons of red-wine vinegar, 2 big spoons of dried mint, and 1/4th spoons of pepper.
- Pizza Omelets: Mix altogether eggs, minced garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. When cooked, add cheese slices and pepperoni on half of the omelet and close it as a pocket. You can add some tomato sauce on top of the whole omelet.
- Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Frittata: Mix 8 eggs, 2 big spoons of oregano, salt and pepper. Then, add some scallions and green pepper. All you need to do is add ½ cup of crumbled goat cheese and cook together in the oven until golden brown.
- Chinese-style asparagus: add ½ cup of water with small spoon of sugar and 1 small spoon of soy sauce and heat them until boiling point. Then, add the asparagus and cook together for few minutes.
- Pumpkin Hazelnut Cake: This cake contains canola oil, pumpkin puree, honey, brown sugar, eggs, whole wheat flour, plain regular flour, flaxseeds, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and chopped hazelnuts.
Other Weight Loss Systems
While a lot of people have been adopting the DASH diet for weight loss, some others have been trying other options.
The Raspberry ketone diet, for example, relies on using pills that will help you lose weight and fat even when you are eating a diet rich in fat. It boosts your metabolic rate, fortifies the immune system and increases your energy. When taking 1 to 3 pills daily, you are expected to lose anywhere between 2 to 5 pounds, weekly.
The Green tea detox diet is based on eating healthy food and drinking a large amount of green tea or taking green tea pills. This system is simple and does not require boycotting any type of food for the sake of losing weight. You just need to eat a well-balanced diet and take your green tea.
The sugar detox diet, on the other hand, wants you to dramatically reduce your sugar intake to lose your unwanted pounds and end up with a healthy body. It will take some time to get used to this kind of lifestyles; but, once you are on the good tract, you are in it for good and you will notice a big difference.
Whatever you decide to do in order to lose weight, make sure you keep going.