Overall health is often determined by the foods that we eat. In fact, the right combination of foods can prove more effective to rid your body of toxins than a remedy such as forskolin extract and like.
You can use different foods to make delicious meals and help cleanse your body. Using natural foods to detox is much better, healthier, and will have long-term benefits. Programs or pills focusing on an extreme approach, such as a three day detox period may not be effective or healthy.
When you use foods to detox, you will mostly be boosting natural body mechanisms to get rid of body toxins. Unlike pills, natural foods do not manipulate how body processes take place.
To get the full benefits of using food to detox your body, one must be up to date with lists of the best foods from all categories of the food pyramid. In this article, we will go through several lists and foods that can be helpful for detoxing your body.
Best Vegetables for detox
Here are the vegetables you can include in a detox diet:
- Broccoli – it is one of the healthiest vegetables. It is also a popular ingredient in detox recipes. Apart from that, it can be purchased in most grocery stores.
- Kale – dark kale is the best one to choose. Kale is the veggie you need to make a perfect green food detox. Apart from that, it is loaded with the iron.
- Cabbage – simmering cabbage with carrots and onions can make a perfect recipe to help you detox. Blending the same with pears and carrots can make one of the best detox broth. The vegetable is widely available.
- Brussel sprouts – Brussel sprouts are a natural medicine on their own. Including it in a detox recipe will see body functions improve drastically.
- Celery – the stalks rather than the leaves are most beneficial when used for detox. It is known to reduce acidity in the body. Because germs survive best in acidic environments, this will help your body stay healthy.
- Spinach – if you want your skin to look youthful, you should increase the amount of spinach in your diet. It is rich in vitamin C and anti-oxidants.
- Tomatoes – the same lycopene that gives a tasteful look to watermelon is the same that produces the same effect on tomatoes. Lycopene is thought to fight cancer and other health conditions.
- Onions – together with garlic, they are known to reduce inflammation and also aid in blood sugar management. It is also suggested that they can prevent tumors.
- Sweet potatoes – if you are looking for a filling food product to reduce food cravings, sweet potatoes may be the best option. They will you keep within the required measure of calories to lose weight.
- Cucumbers – you want to keep hydrated if toxins are to get flushed out of the body efficiently. No other option is as good as a cucumber for this particular purpose.
- Asparagus – this is a tasty vegetable that can help manage your blood sugar. If you have diabetes, this is an excellent addition to your detox food list.
- Peppers – they ensure that nutrients are absorbed into the blood system efficiently. They will also help with weight loss better than weight loss shakes.
best Fruits for detox
Aside from being delicious and sweet, there are so many health benefits you can get from fruit. In fact, they are among the best detox foods you can find today. Always try to use organic, fresh, and free of pesticides.
- Lemons – Lemons are a common detox ingredient in smoothies and drinks. It is not without a good reason; aside from being filled with vitamin C, it also boosts weight loss.
- Berries – Any type of berry is good, but black and strawberries are very popular. They are rich in anti-oxidants. They are responsible for raspberry ketones weight loss benefits.
- Watermelon – as the name suggests, the fruit is full of water. It also carries loads of anti-oxidants and other nutrients. This is not to mention it is quite tasty.
- Pineapple – this fruit keeps the skin healthy. It has a lot of vitamin C and can promote weight loss.
- Apples – apples are readily available and affordable. They come in all types from granny smith to gala, and they keep your body full of antioxidants and dietary fiber. It’s also suggested that can keep cancer at bay.
- Kiwis– want to make your detox delicious? Just add kiwi to the list of foods. It has potassium and can also prevent constipation.
- Oranges – oranges can keep the skin smooth and healthy and has plenty of vitamin C. It also is full of fiber, which helps in digestion.
- Pears – they are great colon cleansers. They are approximately 84 percent water and help move things along in your digestive tract, which aids in detox.
- Papayas – papayas have vitamin K and is rich in magnesium.
best grains for detox
Grains ensure that the body doesn’t run out of energy when flushing the toxins out. If you eat grains, make sure they are whole grains. These foods do have calories, so be careful not to overeat.
- Whole grain bread/brown bread – it may be the way you want to start your day. Many of us are used to bread in the morning, so breaking the trend is almost impossible. Make sure to eat whole grain bread in the morning instead of white bread.
- Brown rice – even though this food looks too starchy to have other nutrients, you might be surprised to learn that there are anti-oxidants in brown rice.
- Whole wheat flour – while this is a good option for some, it is not gluten-free. However, it is one of the most nutritious whole grain foods.
- Quinoa – if you are gluten-free, this is an excellent option for you. It is rich in plant proteins and fiber.
- Buckwheat – a classic salad whole foods recipe should include this ingredient. It is not a grain and will still provide best detox benefits.
best Legumes, nuts, & seeds for detox
The best detox foods list must include legumes and nuts. Legumes are a good source of plant protein. Nuts also have protein and healthy fat.
- Lentils – they take time to digest and will suppress appetite. They also aid in reducing body acidity.
- Black beans – black beans are perhaps the most recommendable plant protein to include in a detox recipe. It helps prevent constipation and is good for your cholesterol.
- Almonds – almonds can be added to a salad during a whole foods detox. It will prevent constipation and also aid in cells and muscles production.
- Walnuts – in addition to all the foods with antioxidants, walnuts are added to the list. They carry unique anti-oxidation effects that might prevent cancer.
- Brazil nuts – they are what you need to keep heavy metals from the body. Heavy metals are very common these days, especially in canned foods.
- Pumpkin seeds – search no further for one of the best foods to detox the liver. Together with grapefruit, olive oil, beets, carrots, and garlic, these seeds will keep liver performance at its best.
- Flax seeds – the same fatty acids that make fish oil healthy are also contained in these seeds. They also bring along added benefits of fiber and other nutrients.
- Sunflower seeds – these are a great snack to include in your diet, and they are a healthier choice than junk food.
best Spices, herbs, oils, fats, & other foods for detox
Aside from the lists you’ve already read, you can use some of these foods as optional additions to improve the flavor and health benefits of your detox diet.
- Cayenne pepper
- Coconut oil or milk
- Almond milk
- Olive oil
best Teas for detox
Teas are also very popular detox remedies. You can consider loose leaf or bagged tea, or just a detox tea. Here are some teas you can enjoy:
- Green tea
- Dandelion tea
- Milk thistle tea
- Ginger tea
- Chicory tea
- Garlic tea
- Cayenne pepper tea
- Red clover tea
- Burdock tea
Foods to avoid for a detox
Below are the foods you should always keep off your detox food list:
- Sugar– any sweetened food or drink should be avoided. They have a lot of calories and can also mess with your blood chemistry.
- Processed products – anything in a package should not be in your detox recipe. Processed foods are notorious sources of heavy metals and other toxins.
- Alcohol – the funny thing is that alcohol contains a lot of useless calories. It reduces the ability of your body to absorb nutrients and vitamins. And of course, for some people, it can lead to alcoholism.
- Red meat – instead of a steak or burger, try chicken, fish, or turkey.
- Dairy products
- Hydrogenated oils
- Soy products
Foods are perhaps the best detox remedies that you can take advantage of. The best thing is that one or more options in every category are accessible in local grocery stores.
The best approach is to go through the lists of best foods for detox and come up with several meal plans that you will enjoy and continue eating.
You should always talk to your doctor before changing your diet or taking supplements. To get different recipes and health updates, you can subscribe to magazines and newsletters. They always prove important in one way or another. Only use over-the-counter pills and supplements for weight loss as the last option.