It is common to hear some people refer to it as bariatric surgery. It is a type of surgical operation, which helps to rapidly reduce excess weight. Weight loss surgery is only recommendable and necessary for patients whose obesity status have gotten to a critical and life threatening level. It also should be the last option after having tried other weight loss techniques.
Which types of weight loss surgery are available?
When it comes to weight loss surgery options, there are four main types to choose from, as discussed below:
- A gastric adjusting band – This involves the implantation of a flexible band at the top side of the stomach. This works by inhibiting any potential excessive intake of food.
- Gastric sleeve – Here, a part of the stomach known as the gastric sleeve is left to be the only functioning part of the stomach. This is achieved by surgically removing the lower part of the stomach.
- Gastrectomy – This is much more complicated, and involves surgically removing a part of the stomach. This means that less food will be needed to fill the left part. Consequently individuals will not eat much after this operation.
- Gastric bypass – It is one of the most popularly of the available weight loss surgery options. It involves diverting the digestive track towards a shorter route, which means that most of the food taken will not be absorbed into the body system.
When is weight loss surgery the best option to consider?
If you already know how to calculate your BMI, then the index should not go past 27. If the index hits 30 and above, it is likely that you will have to consider one of the available weight loss surgery options. This is the case especially for teens, whose weight is expected to continue increasing with age.
Weight loss surgery is considered the only and best option when a BMI index has reached the 35-40 index mark. By then, it is probable that most digestive organs like the gallbladder will not be able to function properly.
Why consider any of the available types of weight loss surgery
Excess weight brings about a lot of undesired repercussions. It may start with simple breathing problems but by the time you are considering weight loss surgery, it is likely that diabetes and blood pressure problems will be upon you.
It is even worse for teens, for they also have to deal with stigmatization that is related to obesity. If carried out by a professional, weight loss surgery is the only least invasive treatment method that can bring about weight loss over short periods of time. Some of the available weight loss surgery options can also help with treating malfunctions in internal digestive organs like the gallbladder.
What is the cost of weight loss surgery options?
There is a very high demand of weight loss surgery expertise in the world today. Best doctors who can perform these surgeries are only available at an average cost of $10,000.
Gastric banding is least expensive. It can be accessed for as low as $ 5,000. This depends on the country from which you are accessing the services from. Private hospitals may charge more or less but the price quotes will revolve around the above numbers.
Conditions for new weight loss surgery patients
It is necessary that new patients be familiar with all the side effects of weight loss surgery options. It also will need that they be prepared to change their lifestyle, in such ways that it will not become necessary again to rapidly lose weight in future.
Side effects of weight loss surgery
Various health and lifestyle related side effects follow most weight loss surgeries. It is very important that you visit your doctor when you notice any of the following:
- Stomach clumps – It may result from a condition of the gallbladder known as gallstones.
- Fatigue – Sometimes there is no enough food to provide the required amount of blood sugar in the body; which causes fatigue.
- Stomach infections – Such include ulcers, frequent stomach aches, diarrhea, and nausea.
- Internal pain – this occurs in parts around the gastric area. It may be brought about by clots or internal bleeding of the surgically manipulated gastric parts.
- Malnutrition – Episodes of common malnutrition cases might be experienced. This is brought about by the fact that weight loss surgery is likely to reduce the amount of food substances circulating in the body.